Who Can Sue for Military Medical Malpractice?

  • Active-Duty service members
  • Military Dependants
  • Active-duty soldiers with a military dependent who has been injured (such as a soldier whose wife dies due to malpractice or an active duty mother whose infant suffered injuries during childbirth)
  • Retired soldiers injured while retired
  • Veteran’s that received injuries at VA Hospitals

Through the National Defense Authorization Act of 2019, active duty service members are now eligible to file personal injury and medical malpractice claims. Dependants and non-active duty personnel may file claims and get recovery for injuries caused by the malpractice of military or other government-employed health care providers. In addition, active-duty members who have a dependent that has been injured may also file a claim for their own emotional and financial injuries caused because one of their family members was injured. For example, if an active-duty parent’s child is injured, the injured child has his or her own claim, but the active-duty parent may also file a claim for their own emotional damages, as well as for the increased medical costs or other expenses the parent may incur due to the child’s injury.

How Long Do I Have to File My Claim for Injuries for a Dependent or Non-active Duty Personnel?

Generally, you have only two years from the date you knew you were injured and knew, or should have known, the cause of your injury.

Exactly how long you have to file a claim for medical malpractice varies greatly depending on the facts and requires a careful analysis of the facts and the law by an experienced lawyer.

Generally, however, for cases involving the United States, you have only two years from the date you knew or should have known, of the injury and the cause of the injury to file a claim. This applies to infants, children, disabled persons, adults, and death cases alike. This is different from most civilian claims where children have a longer time to file.

It is critical that you contact an experienced lawyer who handles military malpractice cases as soon as possible after the injury or death occurs to make sure your rights are protected.

Learn how we can help you by calling 202-335-0185 or by contacting us online.

Schedule a Free Consultation

Fill out the form below to set up a case review with one of our attorneys at no cost.

Questions? Call us
202-803-5800 request a Callback
  • The Best Lawyers in America
  • U.S. News Best Law Firms
  • AV Preeminent
  • American Association for Justice
  • Washingtonian Best Lawyer
  • Super Lawyers
  • Best Lawyers 2021