Common Washington DC Medical Malpractice Cases
Medical malpractice occurs when a medical professional’s wrong actions or lack of action causes a patient permanent harm or results in the patient’s death. Doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals are held to a national standard of care, and if their conduct falls short of that standard, they need to face the consequences for the harm caused. If you or someone you love has suffered as a result of a medical professional’s negligence, consider hiring an experienced Washington DC medical malpractice firm. The attorneys at Bertram & Amell have won numerous accolades in their distinguished careers. Catherine Bertram has been recognized as a top 100 Washington DC Super Lawyer.
Most Common Malpractice Cases
When preventable errors occur, it is important that they do not go unreported. The best way to combat unsafe conditions in our health care system is to contact an experienced medical malpractice attorney.
- Misread CT Scan: Computed tomography is extremely important for identifying cancer and other potentially deadly conditions. However, a CT scan is only useful if a medical professional can correctly interpret the scan’s results. If a flawed interpretation of a CT scan results in a misdiagnosis that in result in delays in diagnosis. Early diagnosis saves lives. A long delay can allow the cancer or the condition to progress to the point where it not curable. The hospital or doctor responsible for this error should be held accountable.
- Misdiagnosis/Delayed Diagnosis: A doctor may have committed medical malpractice if he fails to diagnose a condition that other doctor would have diagnosed. Misdiagnoses and delayed diagnoses are the most common grounds for medical malpractice cases in this country. These delays can result in the patient missing their chance to be cured.
- Urgent Care Medical Malpractice: Though many urgent care facilities provide outstanding medical attention, some don’t have the personnel, expertise or the equipment available in most emergency rooms. If you suffer harm as a result of urgent care incompetence, you may have a viable medical malpractice case.
- Birth Injuries: Having a baby should be the happiest day of your life. Medical mistakes made before and during child birth can lead to cerebral palsy, Erb’s palsy, or death for the mother or the baby. Many of these “medical emergencies” are due to lack of proper planning before day of the birth. Birth injuries often leave families burdened with overwhelming medical bills and necessitate a lifetime of care for that child; compensation from a successful medical malpractice case can help cover ongoing and future medical expenses and provide that child with the best possible life under the circumstances.
- Medication Errors: Medication errors can lead to significant harm. For example, a doctor could prescribe the wrong medication or there could be a mix-up at the pharmacy. If a medication error has compromised your quality of life, a Washington DC medical malpractice attorney can represent your interests in court.
How Can Our Washington DC Medical Malpractice Attorneys Help?
According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, medical malpractice is listed as the third leading cause of death in the U.S.—right behind heart disease and cancer. The only way to change this is to hold the hospitals and medical professionals accountable. Ms. Bertram is a leader in medical malpractice law and advocates for those who have been injured or who have lost loved ones due to the preventable errors of others.