DC | MD | VA Vaccine Injury Attorney
Vaccine injuries can lead to a lifetime of disability or even death. Located in Washington, D.C., the vaccine injury attorneys at Bertram Law Group, PLLC are experienced medical malpractice attorneys who understand the complexities of vaccine injuries.
Vaccine Injuries Can Cause Serious Conditions
In modern medicine, vaccines are routinely administered to most Americans at a very young age. Although vaccines are common and can help ward off life-threatening diseases, vaccines can also cause injuries as severe as the ones they aim to prevent. Vaccines can cause injuries based on the reaction from the vaccine itself or from the doctor’s failure to warn the patient about potential side effects, or both. If you or a loved one has been injured as a result of a vaccine, it is important that you speak with a vaccine attorney at Bertram Law Group, PLLC about your case.
Injuries Caused By Vaccines
Some more serious injuries caused by vaccines include:
- Brain injuries
- Damage to internal organs
- Guillain-Barré Syndrome (an autoimmune disorder that can lead to muscle weakness and/or paralysis)
- Seizure disorders
- Shoulder injuries
- Transverse myelitis (inflammation of the spinal cord which causes nerve damage and may lead to paralysis)
- Anaphylaxis (severe allergic reactions)
Vaccine Injury Claims
Have you or your loved one been harmed by a vaccine? Our office is less than 2 miles from the U.S. Federal Court of Claims, where all vaccine cases from across the country are filed. If you need a lawyer admitted to the U.S. Court of Claims in Washington D.C. for your vaccine case, contact vaccine attorney Catherine Bertram at Bertram Law Group, PLLC. She fights to uphold the legal rights of individuals and families who have been injured by vaccines.
How Vaccines Can Injure Patients
Vaccines are designed to help people and the vast majority of individuals who receive them do so without suffering any ill effects. Unfortunately, there have been numerous instances of serious complications that resulted from receiving a vaccine. The vaccine attorneys at Bertram Law Group, PLLC has decades of combined experience dealing with vaccine injury claims.
These are some of the vaccines that have been linked to dangerous side effects:
- Flu vaccine: linked to Gullian Barre Syndrome, GBS – that is the most common claim in kids and adults right now.
- Hepatitis A vaccine: The Hepatitis A vaccine has been linked to mild, generally temporary issues such as headache, fatigue, and loss of appetite. In rare instances, it has been associated with serious allergic reactions.
- Hepatitis B vaccine. The Hepatitis B vaccine can result in some mild issues, including high temperature and soreness. Severe allergic reactions can result from the Hepatitis B vaccine, although they are extremely rare.
- Measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine. Complications from the MMR vaccine are rare but possible; they include joint pain and stiffness, fever, and bleeding disorders. More serious complications that may be related to the MMR vaccine include deafness, serious allergic reactions, seizures, and permanent brain damage.
- Diphtheria, Tetanus, and acellular Pertussis vaccine. The DTaP vaccine has been linked to some potential mild-to-moderate side effects in children, including fever, swelling, fatigue, and vomiting. There are also more serious complications such as high fever, non-stop crying, and seizures.
- Rabies vaccine. While serious complications from the rabies vaccine are extremely rare, moderate problems are possible. Some potential side effects of the rabies vaccine include nausea, aching muscles, dizziness, headache, joint pain, and fever.
- Rotavirus vaccine. The rotavirus vaccine is given to infants for diarrheal disease. Minor problems such as irritability and temporary diarrhea are possible. There is a small chance of intussusception, a bowel obstruction that happens to about 2,000 babies in the U.S. every year.
Filing Vaccine Injury Claims
The National Childhood Vaccine Act of 1986 established the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (“VICP,” also known as “Vaccine Court”). The VICP is a program that allows individuals to file claims for compensation if they have been injured as a result of a vaccine. Compensation for these individuals is drawn from a fund currently holding approximately $3.6 billion, which is funded from a $0.75 excise tax imposed on certain vaccines. The fund provides compensation for injuries or death occurring on or after October 1, 1988. However, there are time limits in which to file your claim and, in most cases, you must file a claim with the VICP prior to filing a civil lawsuit.
Contact a Vaccine Attorney Today
Although many common vaccines are covered by the VICP, not all vaccines are covered. Navigating these claims can be challenging, which is why you need legal counsel to guide you. The vaccine injury attorneys at Bertram Law Group, PLLC are licensed to practice law in Washington, D.C., which also makes them eligible to file claims on behalf of individuals in the Vaccine Court. Our attorneys are available to discuss your case at a time that is convenient for you, which includes nights and weekends. Call 202-335-0185 or email us. Se Habla Español.