Catherine D. Bertram
Catherine “Katie” Bertram is an experienced trial attorney whose entire practice is focused on obtaining justice for real people who have been injured and families who have lost loved ones due to the responsibility and choices of others.
Before starting her own firm in DC, Ms. Bertram was the Director of Risk Management at Georgetown University Hospital. She knows how hospitals and doctors work and understands how safe health care should be delivered. In her prior role, Ms. Bertram was involved in the patient safety program at Georgetown University Hospital. Ms. Bertram was a member of key hospital committees, including patient safety and physician credentials. Because of her experience in hospitals and her background, Ms. Bertram is uniquely able to understand the issues that cause patient injury, how fraud and abuse occurs and to identify what should have been done to prevent these tragic occurrences. She is included in the Top 100 Super Lawyers in DC. Ms. Bertram is a third generation Washingtonian. She lives with her family in Washington, D.C.
- AV Preeminent Rating 5.0 out of 5.0;
- Top 100 DC Super Lawyers
- 29 years of Civil Trial Experience in the Washington Metropolitan Courts;
- 2017 Washingtonian Top Lawyers, Medical Malpractice;
- Adjunct Professor, American University, Washington College of Law, Medical Malpractice Course
- 2018 Super Lawyer, Washington, D.C.;
- Legal Commentator on CNN’s Burden of Proof;
- Communities Committee Chair, D.C. Bar
- Co-Author of Informed Consent Chapter in Surgical Pitfalls, a nationally recognized medical textbook;
- Lectures nationally to healthcare providers & attorneys on patient safety and medical errors; and
- Retained by attorneys to mediate and evaluate major medical malpractice and personal injury cases.
- Major Medical Malpractice cases, including Wrongful Death cases;
- Birth Trauma, Cerebral Palsy and Erb’s Palsy cases;
- Emergency Room Malpractice;
- Hospital Errors and Nursing Errors;
- Defective Medical Device Litigation;
- Chiropractor Malpractice;
- Drug litigation and Medication Error cases;
- Nursing home litigation; and
- Personal Injury and Wrongful Death cases.
- Class Actions
- Potomac Rowing Club
- Active in University of Wisconsin Alumni Association
- Active Supporter of Public Citizen
- Board of Governors, District of Columbia Trial Lawyers Association
- JD, Catholic University School of Law, 1989
- Woman Law Student of the Year (nominated by the faculty)
- Co-Editor-in-Chief, Judicial Notice, Columbus Legal Services Clinic
- BA, BSW, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Psi Chi Honor Society
- NATIONAL Rowing Champion, 1986; Captain,
- University of Wisconsin Varsity Crew Team, 1982-1986
Admitted to practice in Washington DC and Maryland
If you have question or want more information please call 202-803-5800 or contact Ms. Bertram to learn more.