What should I do after a car accident?
The first thing you should do is make sure everyone involved seeks immediate medical attention. You can do this by calling 911 or, if you appear unhurt, by going to the nearest hospital for a complete checkup. You should also call the police. Some important things to remember to get from the accident include:
- Any other driver’s information including their full name, driving license number, address, phone number and their insurance card information.
- The make, model, VIN (vehicle identification number), color and license plate number of all vehicles involved.
- Information from all passengers and witnesses to the accident, sometimes just a business card or email address can be enough.
- Get the names and ID numbers of all police who arrive at the scene, even if no police report is written.
- Make a note of conditions in the area including time of day, weather, traffic and any other physical conditions of the area which may include lighting, debris, sidewalks, pedestrians and others.
- Pictures of the area that the accident occurred in can also help your case. Take as many as possible and if you aren’t able to at the time of the accident, return to the scene and take pictures then.